The Homeless Alliance for the Lower Shore Continuum of Care Committee (HALS CoC) is a group of individuals from Somerset, Wicomico and Worcester counties that was formed around the common concern of homelessness. Members include representatives from local housing programs, county homeless boards, area shelters, non-profits, service organizations, state and county agencies, faith community, local providers, foundations, business community, and local citizens.
The CoC was formed in early 2002 when the Somerset County Health Department applied for a Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funded permanent supportive housing program to increase housing opportunities for disabled and homeless individuals and families.
Currently the Somerset County Health Department has numerous HUD-funded permanent supportive housing programs that provide 75 units of housing for disabled, homeless individuals and families through the Tri-County Alliance for the Homeless Permanent Supportive Housing Program. These units are scattered rental apartments and houses in the tri-county region of Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties.
Services are provided to disabled homeless individuals and families through a case management system. Case managers work directly with the participants in the program to identify the specific challenges they may be facing and refer them to supportive services. Services may include security deposit, ongoing monthly rental assistance, case management services, information and referral and service planning.
Purpose, Vision, & Mission
- HALS CoC coordinates homeless services and homeless prevention activities in Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties
- HALS CoC envisions a community where residents of Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties are free from homelessness, and live in safe, stable, and affordable housing
- HALS CoC addresses the needs of individuals and families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness through collaboration, advocacy, and resource development in Somerset, Wicomico, and Worcester Counties
- The HALS CoC is open to all interested parties who wish to assist in helping homeless individuals and families in Wicomico, Somerset, and Worcester Counties.
- HALS CoC meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month. For more information, please email Shannon Frey at [email protected].