Tobacco Prevention & Cessation
8928 Sign Post Road
Westover, Maryland 21871
The prospect of doing without tobacco and going through nicotine withdrawal is certainly one of the most difficult changes that a person can make. That’s because nicotine is as, if not more, addicting than cocaine or heroin! The impact that tobacco addiction has on individuals and our society are staggering:
- Each year cigarettes kill more Americans than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, fires, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides combined
- Smoking-related diseases claim the lives of 443,000 Americans every year
- Each year, mainly due to secondhand smoke, an estimated:
- 3,000 nonsmoking Americans die of lung cancer
- 150,000 – 300,00 children younger than 18 months have lower respiratory tract infections
Free classes, medication & support
Walk-ins welcome – call 443-523-1760
- Monday: 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm at Somerset Recovery & Re-entry Center ,11545 Somerset Ave Princess Anne, MD 21851
- Thursday: 11:00 am – Noon at Somerset County Health Department, 8928 Sign Post Rd Westover, MD 21871
The Somerset County Health Department wants to help you in your efforts to become smoke free. Call us today at 443-523-1760 for more information about our stop smoking program.
The Maryland Tobacco Quitline is a FREE service for Marylanders provided by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. This counseling and support program consists of telephone sessions with a trained Quit Coach, nicotine replacement therapy (four weeks free of patch or gum to eligible clients), web based services, recorded messages, texts, and/or literature. Participants can also call to speak to a Quit Coach any time. Coaches provide quitting tips and techniques, and help participants create a personalized quit plan. Special services are available to teens and to pregnant women. Services are also available in Spanish.