(March 21, 2020, Westover, MD) The Somerset County Health Department has received notification that a Somerset County resident has tested positive for COVID-19. This is the first confirmed case in Somerset County.
The woman is in her 60s. She is in good condition and is isolating at home. The Somerset County Health Department with the help of the Maryland Department of Health is conducting a contact investigation and appropriate close contacts will have arrangements made for testing if indicated. If you are experiencing possible COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath) contact your primary care doctor for further screening to determine if you should be tested. Unless you are suffering a medical emergency, please do not show up unannounced at an emergency room or other medical facility. You should speak with your healthcare provider, who can alert an emergency room so that its staff is ready with proper protective gear.
If you have any questions you can call 443.614.6708. During regular business hours call 443.523.1700. We cannot share any additional details about confirmed cases, but staff can help answer residents’ questions.
The health department strongly urges the public to take all possible precautions to help prevent the spread of this virus. Take these everyday steps to help protect yourself and the community:
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, your sleeve or your elbow
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using standard cleaning practices
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- If you are sick, stay home and self isolate, except when seeking medical care
- Avoid gatherings of more than 10 people. Stay home unless absolutely necessary.
For information on COVID-19, visit the Maryland Department of Health at www.coronavirus.maryland.gov or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus. Local updates will be shared through the Somerset County Health Department’s website at www.somersethealth.org or through social media on Facebook (@somersethealth), Instagram (Somersethealthmd) or Twitter (@somersethdmd).
# # #