WINTER SAFETY TIPS FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
Westover, Md. – Snow, ice and freezing rain is predicted for Wednesday, February 20th. The Somerset County Health Department urges everyone to practice these winter safety tips to stay safe.
- Do not drive unless you must do so. If you drive, please go slow.
- Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle
- Never warm up a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage.
- Clear ice and snow off vehicle windows, mirrors and windshields before driving.
- Maintain ventilation when using kerosene heaters to avoid build-up of toxic fumes.
- Locate generators at least 20 feet from the house.
- Ensure that your cell phone is fully charged.
- Sprinkle cat litter, sand, or rock salt on icy sidewalks, steps, and driveways.
- Make sure smoke detectors are in working order.
- Bring all pets inside. Move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.
- Check on your neighbors particularly the elderly and disabled.
For more information on tips to keep warm and be safe in winter weather visit http://www.ready.gov/winter-weather, somersethealth.org or follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/somersethd.