Certified death certificates are $25 for the first certificate and $20 for each additional certificate. Certificates for deaths that occurred on or after January 1, 2015 can be purchased at the Somerset County Health Department. Any death that occurred on or before December 31, 2014 will have to be purchased from Vital Statistics in Baltimore, MD. Death certificates can be obtained Monday through Friday.
How to apply:
Applications must be received in person. Online applications are not accepted at this time.
Persons who can apply:
- Surviving relative of the deceased
- Authorized representative of a surviving relative of the deceased
- Funeral director who was in charge of the final disposition of the body of the deceased
- An individual who has a proven legal need
- Court of law
To receive same day service the following identification is required:
- Valid state identification card/Driver’s License
- Current U.S. issued passport
- Military ID for Active Service Personnel
- Prison ID with picture (must have expiration date)
If you do not have one of the identifications above you can also receive a death certificate by mail with two different pieces of alternative documentation. At least one of these documents must contain your current mailing address. Acceptable documents are:
- Social security card
- Current pay stub
- Current car registration
- Current bank statement
- Current lease / rent agreement
- Current property deed
- Utility bill with current address
- Copy of tax return / W2
- School photo ID with the current school year
We accept cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
To apply for a certificate for a death that occurred on or before December 31, 2014 click here.